domingo, 4 de diciembre de 2011

91.) EL USO DE "SAY Y TELL" = DECIR

       



   "Pardon.....what did you say"?








A veces "SAY y TELL" puede ser un poco complicado al usarlos en inglés, porque en español los dos significa "DECIR"

1.) Con"SAY" muchas veces se usa el mismo pronombre que el sujeto de la frase

Ejemplos:
-He says he´ll be late  =  El dice que llegará tarde
-Susan says she can´t come to the party  = Susan dice que no puede venir a la fiesta
-They said they would arrive late  = Dijeron que llegarían tarde
-I said I was going to buy clothes = Dije que me iba a comprar ropa
-My sister said she wanted to invite us to have dinner Christamas Eve  = Mi hermana dijo que quería invitarnos a cenar en Nochebuena
-The boss says he´s going to buy a present for all his team  = El jefe dice que va a comprar un regalo para todo su equipo


2.)También se puede usar (that) si quieres, pero no es necesario
-Juan said (that) he wasn´t feeling so hot  = Juan dijo que no se encontraba muy allá
-The teacher said (that) the math test would be on Tuesday  = El profesor dijo que el examen sería el Martes
-I said (that) I didn´t mind if went to eat chinese food  = Dije que no me importaba si fuéramos a comer comida china
-They said (that) they would book the hotels  =  Ellos dijeron que reservarían los hoteles

3.) El uso de "SAY" en preguntas:
Ejemplos:
-What did she say about me?  = ¿Que ha dicho de mi? o Que dijo de mi?
-Where did they say they were going? =  ¿A donde dijeron que se iban?
-What did you just say?  =  ¿Que acabas de decir?
-What time did the boss say he was going to have the meeting  = ¿A que hora dijo el jefe que iba a tener la reunión?
-Where did he say he had left the car? = ¿Donde dijo que había dejado el coche?
-Where did they say which restaurant they wanted to go  = ¿A que restaurante dijeron que querían ir?

4.) También se usa "SAY"con la voz directa
Ejemplos:
"I´ve just come back from New York", said Susan = Acabo de volver de Nueva York, Susana dijo
"I can´t go to the party", said Peter = No puedo ir a la fiesta, dijo Pedro
"I wouldn´t say that if I were you", said the teacher = No diría eso si fuera vosotros, dijo el profesor
"I feel dizzy", said Susan  = Me encuentro mareada, dijo Susan
"I´m as blind as a bat", said Linda  = No veo ni tres en un burro


5.) Se puede usar "SAY + TO + OBJECT
Ejemplos:
-What did Tony say to to you?  =  ¿Que te dijo Tony?
- He said to me that we should get ready to go  = Me dijo que deberíamos prepararnos para irnos
*En las frases de arriba también se puede usar "TELL"un pronombre como objeto de la frase
- What did Tony tell you? = Que te dijo Tony? o  Que te ha dicho Tony?
- He told me that we should get ready to go  = Me dijo que deberíamos prepararnos
* No se dice: He said me.... pero si se puede decirHe said to me
* Es mucho mejor usar "TELL", en lugar de usar "Say to"
- He told me = El me dijo,  en lugar de decir: He said to me
-I told you not to call me so early  = Te dije que no me llamaras tan pronto
-Our parents told us to get up  = Nuestros padres nos dijeron que nos levantáramos

6.) Expresiones con "SAY"
Ejemplos
-It´s really hot. You can say that again!  = Hace mucho calor. Y que lo digas!
-No sooner said than done  = Dicho y hecho
-That´s easier said than done!  =  Del dicho al hecho hay mucho trecho
-Shall we say tomorrow night?  = Digamos mañana por la noche?
-He´s really a dick; to say the least  = Como mínimo, realmente es un imbécil!
-Why didn´t you say-so before?  =  Y porqué no lo has dicho antes!
-What do you want me to say?  = Que quieres que diga?
-I must say you look great in that dress  = La verdad es que estás fantástica en ese vestido
-Who gave the say-so to continue with the project?  = Quien te dio el visto bueno para continuar con el proyecto?
-Why is Tom here at the party? Because I say so = Porqué está Ton en la fiesta? Porqué lo digo yo
-I have no say in this matter = No tengo ni voz ni voto en este asunto
-You don´t say!  = No me digas!

7.) Por tanto, vemos que cuando se usa "TELL"es necesario usar un "OBJECT PRONOUN" 
Ejemplos:
-My sister told me to call my mother  = Mi hermana me dijo que llamara a mi madre
-They told us they were going to go shopping  = Nos dijeron que se iban de compras
-What did the boss tell you to do?  = ¿Que te dijo el jefe que hicieras?
-I told everybody to come to my house on Sunday  = Les dije a todos que vengan a mi casa el domingo
-My wife told me to clean the kitchen  = Mi mujer me dijo que limpiara la cocina
-He told us to wait for him in front of the restuarant  = Nos dijo que le esperemos delante del restaurante
-The teacher told his students to be quiet  = El profesor les dijo a sus alumnos que se callaran
-I told them to meet us at City Hall  = Les dije que se reunieran con nosotros en el Ayuntamiento
-Why did you tell her that she had to finish the report before going home?  = ¿Porqué le has dicho que tenía que terminar el informe antes de irse a casa?
-Tell them I´m sorry  = Diles que lo siento
-Tell me that you´re sorry  = Dime que lo sientes
-Don´t tell me, let me guess  = No me lo digas; déjame que lo adivine

8.) "TELL" también significa "CONTAR" 
Ejemplos:
-I´m going to tell you a funny joke = Te voy a contar un chiste gracioso
-Can you tell us a story Daddy?  = ¿Nos puede contar un cuento Papa?
-I want to tell you a secret; so don´t tell anyone  = Quiero contarte un secreto; así que no se lo cuentes a nadie
-Please tell me what happened at the party  = Cuéntame lo que pasó en la fiesta por favor
-Did I ever tell you that I had a job picking up golf balls  =  ¿Te he contado alguna vez que tenia un trabajo recogiendo pelotas de golf?

9.) Unas expresiones con "TELL"
-He´s getting a divorce. I told you so!  = Se va a divorciar. Ya te lo dije!
-You can tell they´re country folk  = Se ven que son de pueblo
-There´s no telling what might happen  = No se sabe lo que podría pasar
-I can´t tell the difference  = Yo no veo ninguna diferencia
-The boss is pissed off. You´re telling me!  = El jefe está mosqueado. Me lo vas a decir a mi!
-To tell you the truth; I don´t feel like going  = Para decirte la verdad; no me apetece ir


Grammar exercise: Poner la forma correcta de “SAY OR TELL según el contexto(see solution below)

1. What did the boss ........... to her ?
2. He..............that he´s happy with everyone.
3. He also................us that we were very good workers.
4. What can I ………….?
5. Susan…………..that we can have lunch together.
6. I don´t understand what you are……………me.
7. I have no................in this matter.
8. Have I ever ..............you about my trip to India ?
9. I must…………..that you really look very beautiful today.
10. What did you…………….me last night?
11. I ....................that we have been invited to a party.
12. ……………me. What do you want to do tonight?
13. To…………..you the truth, I just want to stay home and watch a good movie.
14. What were you…………….her?
15. I……………..her that she had to work Saturday morning.
16. Daddy, can you ……………us a story?
17. If I………….you a secret, will you please not.................anyone ?
18. What did you expect me to.............. ?
19. We can´t.............the difference. Your nose looks the same.
20. The boss is going out with Anabel. I..............you so!
21. I´ll..............you a joke.
22. Linda is in a very bad mood this morning. You´re…………..me!
23. Are you…………..me that Peter is gay! Of course, didn´t he.............you ?

Translation exercise (ver solución mas abajo)

1. Ella dice que no podrá trabajar el sábado por la mañana.
2. ¿Que acabas de decir? He dicho que el jefe siempre está de mal humor últimamente.
3. Dije que no sabía nada y ademas no era asunto mío.
4. "Me voy a casa porque me encuentro mal", dijo Gabriel.
5. El policía dijo que no podíamos pasear con las bicis por la cera.
6. Cuéntame ese chiste de nuevo. Se lo quiero contar a mi mujer.
7. Te dije que no dijeras nada.
8. Dile a tu amigo que no sabe lo que dice.
9. Nos dijeron que teníamos que salir pronto por la mañana.
10. Que te acabo de decir! No sabes tener la boca cerrada.
11. Que te dijo tu mujer cuando llegaste a casa tan tarde?
12. Me dijo que ella iba a salir con sus amigas esta noche y llegaría a casa muy tarde como yo.
13. Cuantas veces tengo que decirte que no quiero ir a esa fiesta.

Esta gran romántica y famosa canción es de Aretha Franklin " I say a liitle prayer for you"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtBbyglq37E

Lyrics                                                             Translation by ajm
The moment I wake up                      El momento cuando me despierto
Before I put on my makeup                Antes de ponerme el maquillaje 
I say a little prayer for you                Digo una pequeña oración para ti
While combing my hair now,               Mientras me cepillo el pelo ahora
And wondering what                         Y preguntándome que
dress to wear now                            vestido ponerme ahora 
I say a little prayer for you                Digo una pequeña oración para ti
 
Forever, forever, you'll                      Para siempre, para siempre, tu
stay in my heart                              estarás en mi corazón
and I will love you                            y te amaré
Forever, forever, we                         Para siempre, para siempre, nosotros
never will part                                 nunca nos separaremos
Oh, how I'll love you                         Ay, como te querré
Together, together,                          Juntos, juntos, 
that's how it must be                        así es como debe de ser 
To live without you                           Vivir sin ti
Would only be heartbreak for me.         Solamente se me rompería el corazón
 
I run for the bus, dear,                      Voy corriendo para el autobus, cariño
While riding I think of us, dear,            Mientras viajo pienso en nosotros, cariño     

I say a little prayer for you.                Digo una pequeña oración para ti
At work I just take time                     En el trabajo simplemente me tomo el tiempo
And all through my                            Y durante mi
coffee breaktime,                              almuerzo
I say a little prayer for you.                Digo una pequeña oración para ti
 
Forever, forever, you'll                       Para siempre, para siempre tu
stay in my heart                               estarás en mi corazón
and I will love you                             y te querré
Forever, forever we                           Para siempre, para siempre nosotros
never will part                                  nunca nos separaremos
Oh, how I'll love you                          Ay, como te amaré
Together, together,                           Juntos, juntos
that's how it must be                         así es como debe ser
To live without you                            Vivir sin ti
Would only be heartbreak for me.         Solamente se me rompería el corazón
 
My darling believe me,                        Mi amor créeme,
For me there is no one                       Para mi no hay nadie mas
But you.                                          Solamente tu

Y aquí una cancion de Amna "Tell me why

Lyrics                                          Translation by ajm
Please tell me why,                                     Por favor dime porqué
you said goodbye                                        dijiste adiós
And then you come back to me,                  Y entonces vuelves a mi,
to love me high                                            para amarme a todo lo alto
Please tell me why                                      Por favor dime porque
Tell me why.                                              Dime porque  

Please tell me why,                                     Por favor dime porqué
you said goodbye                                        me dijiste adiós
And then you come back to me,                  Y entonces vuelves a mi
to love me high                                            para amarme a todo lo alto
Please tell me why                                      Por favor dime porqué
Tell me why.                                                 Dime porqué 

Now when I saw you first time                     Cuando te vi la primera vez
You got into my mind                                   Entraste en mi
Baby I want you to know.                             Cariño quiero que sepas
With every thing I see                                  Con todo lo que veo 
With every word I say                                   Con cada palabra que digo
I love you more and more every day.             Te quiero mas y mas cada día

Now tell me why,                                           "              "                  "
You said goodbye.

Now tell me why,
You said goodbye.                                         "               "                 " 

Now tell me why,
You said goodbye.

Please tell me why, 
you said goodbye
And then you come back to me,                       "             "                 "      
to love me high
Please tell me why
Tell me why.

Grammar solution
1. say   2. said   3. told   4. say   5. said    6. telling   7. say   8. told   9. say   10. tell   11. said  
12. Tell   13. tell   14. telling   15. told   16. tell   17. tell  / tell   18. say   19. tell   20. told  
21. tell   22.telling   23.saying / tell

Translation solution
1. She says she won´t be able to work Saturday morning.
2. What did you just say? I said the boss is always in a bad mood lately.
3. I said I didn´t know anything and besides it was none of my business.
4. "I´m going home because I feel sick", said Gabriel.
5. The policeman said that we couldn´t ride the bicycles on the sidewalk.
6. Tell me that joke again. I want to tell it to my wife.
7. I told you not to say anything.
8. Tell your friend he doesn´t know what he´s saying.
9. They told us we had to leave early in the morning.
10. What did I just tell you! Can´t you keep your mouth shut!
11. What did your wife tell you when you got home so late?
12. She told me she was going to go out with her friends tonight and would get home late like me.
13. How many times do I have to tell you that I don´t want to go to that party.

2 comentarios:

  1. hi Alan

    in the sentece:
    They told us they were going to go shopping = No dijeron que se iban de compras

    There is a typing mistake, you should write "Nos" to avoid confusion.
    They told us they were going to go shopping = Nos dijeron que se iban de compras

    Tii

    ResponderEliminar